From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:51:38
1 On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 18 June 2012, at 15:39, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> It does bring to mind a question...when I went to put SATAII drives in
7 >>> a SATA box, I needed to flip a jumper on the drive so that it would
8 >>> operate at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s. Felix, did you follow any
9 >>> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
10 >>
11 >> I don't remember seeing any jumpers at all.  I'll take another look when I get back there.
12 >
13 > With some drives this is done in software / firmware.
14 >
15 > I think you mentioned these drives are Hitachi - previous models of their drives were set using their "Hard-drive Feature Tool" bootable CD (e.g. ftool_215.iso). This now appears to be obsolete, but they may offer a newer alternative.
16 >
17 > From experience, if the motherboard / SATA controller is old enough you will *definitely* have to set the drives to 1.5Gb/s.
18
19 A thought...if the system is old enough that it only has PCI and PCI-X
20 (as opposed to PCIe), then it's definitely not going to have USB3.
21
22 Perhaps putting attaching the USB3 enclosure to the system by way of a
23 USB2 hub might work?
24
25 Otherwise, the firmware adjustment might be the way to go. (Or a
26 motherboard upgrade...)
30 :wq