From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thin-provisioning-tools - but I don't provision anything!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 21:21:11
1 Hello, Neil.
2
3 On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 21:47:01 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 01:56:54 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
5
6 > > I posted about a nasty infection my machine had with three
7 > > versions of Ruby a few days ago. In the process of trying to fix that I
8 > > noticed a thingy called "thin-provisioning-tools". I don't have
9 > > anything thin and I don't provision anything so why I ask?
10 > >
11 > > From what I've been able to understand, it's something to do
12 > > with Device Mapper, snapshots and "many virtual devices to be stored on
13 > > the same data volume". This is all just jibberish to me and I have no
14 > > idea as to why this has suddenly appeared in my world update. I haven't
15 > > asked for it. I don't use any of the "more advanced" thingies such as
16 > > lvm2 etc so does anyone have any idea as to why I've now go this to
17 > > install?
18
19 > If you add -t to emerge @world you will probably see that it is lvm2 that
20 > pulls this in, specifically the thin USE flag, which is on by default.
21
22 > Add ":sys-fs/lvm2 -thin" to /etc/portage/package.use and it will go away.
23
24 Yes, but do I want it to go away? What is it, what does it do?
25
26 OK, let's try emerge -s thin-provisioning-tools. We get back only
27 patronising garbage, namely "A suite of tools for thin provisioning on
28 Linux" - well, duh! Who write's this stuff?
29
30 So, WTF is thin provisioning?
31
32 > --