From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-admin/mcelog daily cronjob?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:27:43
1 On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:13:57 +0100
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > On Thu, 17 April 2014, at 2:32 pm, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > >> ...
8 > >> Do you seriously consider it up for debate whether or not it's a
9 > >> bug, when daily error messages are produced and emailed to the
10 > >> system admin?
11 > >
12 > > That depends on whether you consider that to be the expected
13 > > behavior for the way it has been set up; the cause is already
14 > > known, wrong perms.
15 >
16 > Well, it seems to be the Gentoo devs that set it up this way.
17 >
18 > You're the expert - you tell me why this is happening.
19
20 Your found information and the post installation messages tell this:
21
22 "Traditionally mcelog was run as a cronjob, but this usage is
23 deprecated now. The modern way to run it is to start it at
24 boot up time and run it always as a daemon."
25
26 "A sample cronjob is installed into /etc/cron.daily
27 without executable bit (system service is the preferred method now)"
28
29 There is nothing extra for a non-maintainer to add to this.
30
31 > You haven't given me any explanation why this package is on a
32 > freshly-installed Gentoo system, you haven't told me in the Gentoo
33 > install docs that I need to configure this package, have you?
34
35 That is because you have installed it; and if you did install it, then
36 the useful post installation messages tell you this information.
37
38 To demonstrate that this is the case, app-admin/mcelog is ...
39
40 ... not part of the current stage3 as revealed by its contents list;
41
42 $ grep app-admin/mcelog stage3-amd64-20140410.tar.bz2.CONTENTS
43 $
44
45 ... not pulled in by another dependency as recorded in the database;
46
47 $ grep --include='*DEPEND' -rl app-admin/mcelog /var/db/pkg/
48 $
49
50 ... not pulled in through profiles and therefore not by the @system set
51
52 $ grep -r app-admin/mcelog /usr/portage/profiles/
53 $
54
55 ... and not listed as the dependency of any package in the Portage tree.
56
57 $ grep --include='*.ebuild' --exclude='mcelog-*' -r app-admin/mcelog /usr/portage/
58 $
61 With kind regards,
62
63 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
64 Gentoo Developer
65
66 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
67 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
68 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D