From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:01:25
1 Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [110725 14:43]:
3 >
4 >> Todd Goodman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Dale (and whoever else was having problems with Firefox and X hangs,)
7 >>>
8 >>> I don't know if you've seen it but:
9 >>>
10 >>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/24/54
11 >>>
12 >>> looks like a thread that might be applicable?
13 >>>
14 >>> Todd
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >> That does look interesting. I had a few times where mine would just
20 >> hang and I could use the SysReq keys but most of the time it just plain
21 >> paniced.
22 >>
23 > Yes, I remember that. But depending on your kernel config you could be
24 > getting a "panic" based on settings (I believe.)
28 That is true. I think .39 was the one that always paniced. It seems
29 the later .38 wold sometimes give me a change to use the SysReq keys.
30 It' shard to recall now. :/
31
32 >> I'm not subscribed so if you see something interesting, let me know. I
33 >> wish I could let them know it also causes kernel panics as well. I
34 >> suspect tho that whatever fix they come up with, it will fix it all. I
35 >> may go back to a older kernel too. lol That may work for a temp fix
36 >> anyway.
37 >>
38 > I'll let you know if I see anything that looks related. It would be
39 > interesting if going back to 2.6.38 is a temp fix for you. I know you'd
40 > tried older kernels before but...
41 >
42 > As someone else mentioned, you can certainly report it. However, it
43 > would be very helpful if you can get the panic information. I know it's
44 > difficult with X hanging and needing X to reproduce the problem but
45 > SSHing to the machine and/or a netconsole might allow something to be
46 > seen. And the panic information would likely be quite illuminating.
50 I'm not subscribed there and that is a very high traffic list. I did
51 take a look at the option of subscribing tho. I also tried to ssh into
52 my rig from my old rig, it refused. It couldn't even find my box. It
53 worked fine after I rebooted tho.
56 >> Thanks very much for the link. At least it is not just me and they know
57 >> about it now.
58 >>
59 > Yes, though hearing from more than one person with the issue might help
60 > get it solved quicker. There may be similarities between your machines
61 > that point he finger at a certain area...
62 >
63 > Todd
66 >> Dale
67 >>
68 >> :-) :-)
71 Yea, having more info would be helpful but it appears that more than I
72 have has already been given. I may see if I can email someone directly
73 or something. Maybe that will work, if I don't go to spam or something.
74
75 Is this related to a specific nic driver? I wasn't able to really tell
76 much from all the error messages they posted. I still haven't tried a
77 different nic. I sort of been busy.
78
79 Dale
80