From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 08:32:18
1 Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 14:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I try to keep a "up to date" stage 4 tarball here in my system just in
5 >> case. I basically did the creation just like I would if I were booted
6 >> from the CD. I created /mnt/gentoo/ on my system, extracted a stage 3
7 >> there, then chroot in and create a stage 4 tarball. I have one weird
8 >> thing tho that has me confused. When it creates the stage 4 tarball, it
9 >> is in /mnt/gentoo. Today I unpacked the stage 4 so that I could update
10 >> it and when I do a tar xjpf stage4 -C /mnt/gentoo, it actually looks
11 >> like this, /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo/ which is not what I am looking for.
12 >> It doesn't matter on a running system, but it would if I were trying to
13 >> rescue myself.
14 >>
15 >> How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
16 >> as it start point, root directory if you will? I read the man page but
17 >> suspect I am missing it somewhere. There has to be a way since it is
18 >> done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
19 >>
20 > I do just
21 > # cd /mnt/gentoo
22 > # tar cjpf /somewhere/gentoo4.tar.bz2 .
23 > ^ dot @ the end!
24 >
25 > Which produces a tarball containg everything under "." - which is the
26 > CWD -> ./bin ./boot ...and so on.
27 >
28 > Bye,
29 > Daniel
33 I have to confess, I am always in the root directory, as in /. That
34 makes sense too. I'll try to remember to try that next time.
35
36 Thanks
37
38 Dale