From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about making a tarball
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 08:01:48
1 On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 14:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > I try to keep a "up to date" stage 4 tarball here in my system just in
3 > case. I basically did the creation just like I would if I were booted
4 > from the CD. I created /mnt/gentoo/ on my system, extracted a stage 3
5 > there, then chroot in and create a stage 4 tarball. I have one weird
6 > thing tho that has me confused. When it creates the stage 4 tarball, it
7 > is in /mnt/gentoo. Today I unpacked the stage 4 so that I could update
8 > it and when I do a tar xjpf stage4 -C /mnt/gentoo, it actually looks
9 > like this, /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo/ which is not what I am looking for.
10 > It doesn't matter on a running system, but it would if I were trying to
11 > rescue myself.
12 >
13 > How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
14 > as it start point, root directory if you will? I read the man page but
15 > suspect I am missing it somewhere. There has to be a way since it is
16 > done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
17 I do just
18 # cd /mnt/gentoo
19 # tar cjpf /somewhere/gentoo4.tar.bz2 .
20 ^ dot @ the end!
21
22 Which produces a tarball containg everything under "." - which is the
23 CWD -> ./bin ./boot ...and so on.
24
25 Bye,
26 Daniel
29 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
30 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887