From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eeek: Apache2 lost it's CGI ability
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:11:39
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Naga <nagatoro@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 16 February 2009 00:59:41 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >> I've got a low-use CGI script on my web server. Aside from web
4 >> crawlers, I usually see at most a few hits a week from
5 >> people who share my hobby.
6 >>
7 >> I just found out it's been down for an unknown period of time because
8 >> my Apache no longer does CGI scripting.
9 >> I can't even get it to run the simplest possible C program.
10 >
11 > Not sure if this is related to your problem but I had a similar issue that was
12 > caused by having "threads" as a USE flag for Apache. This has the effect that
13 > the mod_cgi.so module isn't built, but the mod_cgid.so one is.
14 >
15 > /Regards
16 > Naga
20 Problem solved. It wasn't i18n, and it wasn't Python.
21
22 Apparently somewhere along the line, apache started to provide a
23 command-line argument to CGI programs. At least my Python script was
24 getting an empty string in argv[1]. The script is picky about that,
25 but had old code to handle it that worked only for the command-line.
26 It did not expect to have any arguments at all when running as CGI.
27
28 After fixing up error handling, and training it to ignore empty string
29 parameters, the script runs just fine. Check it out at
30 http://hex.kosmanor.com/hex-bin/board if you like the game of Hex.
31 It's a hobby thing.
32
33 ++ kevin