From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem after emerge --update --deep world
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:16:39
1 Hi all,
2
3 This issue is related to my desktop. Bear with me while I give some
4 background details.
5
6 A couple of months ago, I followed the MySQL Upgrade Guide to upgrade
7 MySQL. At that time, some configuration files were changed. I don't
8 know specifically if those changes had anything to do with a problem
9 that developed. The problem was that when I logged out of KDE and chose
10 to either restart or shutdown the computer, neither of these occurred.
11 The monitor would shut off, but not the computer.
12
13 A week or so ago, I did the gcc upgrade using the GCC Upgrade Guide and
14 much to my pleasure, the problem of not being able to reboot or shutdown
15 when I selected those choices from the menu on KDE logout disappeared.
16
17 On Sunday, I started an 'emerge --update --deep world'. A number of kde
18 3.4.3 packages were pulled in (I orginally emerged kde-meta). The
19 update went fine. At the end, I ran etc-update and 4 configuration
20 files related to kde were updated. The files were: klipperrc,
21 ksslcalist, kdmrc, and libkleopatrarc.
22
23 Now, after the update, I again cannot reboot or shutdown when I select
24 either of the choices from the menu on KDE logout.
25
26 I figured that kdmrc, might be a logical file to be causing the problem
27 and I *did* find a "Shutdown" section in this file with the lines
28 related to shutdown and reboot commented out. I removed the '#' and
29 used the suggested defaults - /sbin/halt and /sbin/reboot. Well, this
30 didn't solve the problem, so I tried editing the related lines to
31 /etc/init.d/shutdown.sh and /etc/init.d/reboot.sh. This didn't solve
32 the problem either.
33
34 So, in a nutshell, I still cannot shutdown or reboot when I select these
35 from the menu on KDE logout.
36
37 Any ideas here?
38