From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to set size to windows in Openbox in local config [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:12:46
1 On 170420-05:57+0200, Floyd Anderson wrote:
2 > On Do, 13 Apr 21:55:29 +0200
3 > Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
4 ...
5 > >
6 > >But I forgot floyd has got a "patch to keep the window position while
7 > >resizing the font" and offered it:
8 > >
9 > >https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=149205691530349&w=2
10 ...
11 >
12 > Hi Miroslav,
13 >
14 > back from some computer-free holidays,
15 I hope you had good and restful time!
16
17 > I haven’t forgotten that I owe
18 > you a patch. Study my attached approach and if you like, apply the patch
19 > at your own risk (it should be clean applicable to the currently latest
20 > upstream commit [1]).
21 which I just git clone'd, for that purpose.
22
23 > If you have any questions or ideas, get back to me.
24 Don't worry, I will! With my usual excuse for my slowness and relative
25 inaptitude...
26
27 > But keep in mind,
28 > I’m neither a developer nor a GUI programmer guru.
29 >
30 > It has some limits and/or doesn’t resolve certain issues:
31 > - the patch assumes ‘NorthWest’ as the reference point for the window
32 > gravity.
33 NW is just fine, I would expect that, it's the usual default.
34
35 > - if terminal background is colourised via escape sequences (as Andrew
36 > mentioned in [2]),
37 Yeah, I had marked important that email previously already, but only now
38 found some time to study the links (and only *some* time)...
39
40 And some of these notes of yours below I'll only more fully understand
41 when I, hopefully, try and apply the patch (more about my plan on that
42 further below):
43 > you may notice that a borderless window colourise
44 > only full cells (of rows/columns), not the gap between a terminal
45 > cell end and the window edge. Framed windows seems not to be
46 > affected by this behaviour.
47 > - window edges flutters/flickers while resizing fonts (independently
48 > from step-size and also when using escape sequences for resizing)
49 > - toggling a window between normal -> fullscreen/maximised state ->
50 > and back, you may notice that the window size has changed. I don’t
51 > know the reason for this issue (which occurs independently from the
52 > urxvt-font-size extension and my patch).
53 > - different window manager (WM) probably produces different
54 > behaviours. Think about a WM that try to imitate a tiling window
55 > manager by automatic resizing/positioning within a snapping area
56 > near the desktop edges.
57 > - patch is tested to my moderate needs but not fully with all kinds of
58 > fonts, WMs, multi monitor environment, etc.
59 > - ...
60 >
61 > The patch is too unimportant to solve some/all of the above issues
62 > and/or bloating up the urxvt extension script. And additionally,
63 > rxvt-unicode won’t and doesn’t expose all Xlib functions (such as
64 > XGetWindowAttributes) in urxvtperl, the embedded perl interpreter. So it
65 $ man urxvtperl # but how cryptic!, how long study that will be... I don't
66 have all those hours right now...
67 I hope I'll find a solution with less time to invest,
68 else...
69 > will be tricky sometimes, to solve a specific behaviour.
70 >
71 > My used and tested urxvt-font-size related Xresource settings:
72 > URxvt.font-size.keepwin: true
73 > URxvt.font-size.step: 4
74 > URxvt.keysym.C-0xffad: font-size:decrease
75 > URxvt.keysym.C-0xffab: font-size:increase
76 > URxvt.keysym.C-0xffb0: font-size:reset
77 >
78 > Since I use the default keysyms for font-size:{decrease,increase,reset}
79 > in Vim, I changed those defaults to C-KP_Substract (C-0xffad), C-KP_Add
80 > (C-0xffab), C-KP_0 (C-0xffb0) like in Firefox and others.
81 I don't get what these are. Not at this time. And this is my second
82 reading of your email...
83
84 NOTE (at proofreading): Is that 'C-KP_Substract' should read
85 'C-KP_Subtract'?, the "-" on the keypad? So 'C-KP_Subtract' means
86 Ctrl-<minus>?, and C-KP_0 means Ctrl-0?
87
88 I also compared what I have currently installed:
89
90 # eix urxvt-font-size
91 [I] x11-misc/urxvt-font-size
92 Available versions: 1.1 **9999
93 Installed versions: 1.1(13:07:28 22/02/15)
94 Homepage: https://github.com/majutsushi/urxvt-font-size/
97 #
98
99 # qlist urxvt-font-size
100 /usr/lib64/urxvt/perl/font-size
101 /usr/share/doc/urxvt-font-size-1.1/README.markdown.bz2
102 #
103
104 [I compared what I have currently installed] with the 9999 version, which
105 is the version that, IIUC, I plan to hopefully try and patch with your
106 patch...
109 > References:
110 > [1] <https://github.com/majutsushi/urxvt-font-size/commit/0cc2624489fb60fcebf85d5c4dd62f425196c5b0>
111 That's the the two colons that Jan Larres, the current maintainer left
112 out, and you reminded him they were missing. Nice of you! (IIUC)
113
114 > [2] <https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/a4d58e993934aa4a273998eda030d115>
115 The link that Savchenko gave in that email is puzzling me:
116 http://rcr.io/words/dynamic-xterm-colors.html
117 I want to try and figure out that bash script there... It's very
118 educational.
119
120 I need more time to study this. But I do have a question:
121
122 I read, somewhere, spender (the author of grsecurity) wrote it, but I
123 don't recall the entire context, and so I can only vaguely paraphrase
124 what I remember he wrote, that... Aaargh, can't remember well at all...
125 I think it wasn't about perl only, or perl wasn't even mentioned
126 explicity, but it was spender saying how running scripts by using stuff
127 like:
128
129 #!/usr/bin/env [perl|python|...]
130 (
131 in the new script it's
132 #!/usr/bin/env perl
133 )
136 instead of the more simple, traditional shebang line:
137
138 #!/usr/bin/<interpreter> # perl or python or bash
139
140 (
141 in the old script it's
142 #!/usr/bin/perl
143 )
144
145 that the former (...env <interpreter>) is not as safe as the latter
146 (...bin/<interpreter>).
147
148 Why was it necessary to introduce that change? I'm referring to Jan's
149 change, of course.
150
151 It can't be it does not bring a tiny bit more into the attack surface,
152 can it?
153
154 I need to try and understand some more of the above, but not
155 immediately. A couple of hours of work on this today still got me
156 too inconclusive in my understanding... And I do have other stuff on my
157 hands that require my efforts and time...
158
159 And my plan is... Probably bump the ebuild into my custom overlay, as I
160 don't install online from git (until it becomes possible to verifiably
161 install packages while online, I mean: for non-experts like me; it is
162 possible to verifiably install packages with the old webrsync, also
163 while online...; OTOH app-crypt/gkeys that Savchenko recommended to me
164 in an email a month or two ago to try and test, those do bring in
165 more verifiability when installing from git, but I haven't found time to
166 study gkeys yet...)
167
168 [And my plan is... Probably bump the ebuild into my custom overlay,]
169 modify it to get the git source served from my local Apache cgit repo
170 [1] (and urxvt-font-size package is not even PGP-signed, neither tags
171 nor commits, which is always an important feature missing with the code,
172 for me...)
173
174 [modify it to get the git source from my local Apache cgit repo], put
175 your patch in /etc/portage/patches/x11-misc/urxvt-font-size/ check that
176 my /etc/portage/bashrc is ready to apply user patches (I recently
177 updated it as per the wiki page, gave the link in another email a couple
178 of days ago, to this list, yeah, it was in the non-replied-to message to
179 Ian Zimmermann in a 2 emails --so far-- thread split from this one...
180 which was about window positions as well!... [2]), and...
181
182 ...And emerge it:
183
184 # emerge urxvt-font-size
185
186 Courious to read what your opinion is on usage of /env vs plain /bin
187 scripts security-wise, as I put it further above! And why that change...
188
189 Regards!
190 ---
191 [1] I have actually learned when installing gnunet from
192 youbroketheinternet-overlay just two days ago that I probably can
193 use local overlay even without seving it with cgit and Apache,
194 simply from local filesystem!
195
196 [2] openbox window positions
197 https://lists.gt.net/gentoo/user/325342
198 (and my reply to it contains digressions, but also simple
199 questions...)
202 Miroslav Rovis
203 Zagreb, Croatia
204 https://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr