From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to set size to windows in Openbox in local config [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 02:36:05
1 On Fr, 21 Apr 00:12:28 +0200
2 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
3 >On 170420-05:57+0200, Floyd Anderson wrote:
4 >> On Do, 13 Apr 21:55:29 +0200
5 >> Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
6 >...
7 >> >
8 >> >But I forgot floyd has got a "patch to keep the window position while
9 >> >resizing the font" and offered it:
10 >> >
11 >> >https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=149205691530349&w=2
12 >...
13 >>
14 >> Hi Miroslav,
15 >>
16 >> back from some computer-free holidays,
17 >I hope you had good and restful time!
18 Yes, thanks, it was like that and I had better stay there because after
19 an update yesterday, xorg-server kills my last nerve while I am fighting
20 with a "Segmentation fault at address 0x0" server error. :-(
21
22 >> The patch is too unimportant to solve some/all of the above issues
23 >> and/or bloating up the urxvt extension script. And additionally,
24 >> rxvt-unicode won’t and doesn’t expose all Xlib functions (such as
25 >> XGetWindowAttributes) in urxvtperl, the embedded perl interpreter. So it
26 >$ man urxvtperl # but how cryptic!, how long study that will be... I don't
27 > have all those hours right now...
28 > I hope I'll find a solution with less time to invest,
29 > else...
30 Yes it needs investigation. That was the reason why I does not realise
31 firstly, that the changes to my local font-size extension script were
32 made by me (as I mentioned in an earlier reply). I could not believe
33 that I spend my time to those cryptic stuff (have not used Git for this
34 in the past, which had simply shown myself as the author).
35
36 >> My used and tested urxvt-font-size related Xresource settings:
37 >> URxvt.font-size.keepwin: true
38 >> URxvt.font-size.step: 4
39 >> URxvt.keysym.C-0xffad: font-size:decrease
40 >> URxvt.keysym.C-0xffab: font-size:increase
41 >> URxvt.keysym.C-0xffb0: font-size:reset
42 >>
43 >> Since I use the default keysyms for font-size:{decrease,increase,reset}
44 >> in Vim, I changed those defaults to C-KP_Substract (C-0xffad), C-KP_Add
45 >> (C-0xffab), C-KP_0 (C-0xffb0) like in Firefox and others.
46 >I don't get what these are. Not at this time. And this is my second
47 >reading of your email...
48 >
49 >NOTE (at proofreading): Is that 'C-KP_Substract' should read
50 >'C-KP_Subtract'?, the "-" on the keypad? So 'C-KP_Subtract' means
51 >Ctrl-<minus>?, and C-KP_0 means Ctrl-0?
52 Sorry, I was not quite verbose about this. Yes your are right, the "C"
53 means control key and "KP" stands for keypad. Normally you can use those
54 identifier directly in the keysym definitions but those for keypad keys
55 does not work for me, so I used their hexadecimal keycode equivalents.
56 You can find the keycodes with the command `xev` or by looking in the
57 header file "/usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h" near line 202.
58
59 >I also compared what I have currently installed:
60 >
61 ># eix urxvt-font-size
62 >[I] x11-misc/urxvt-font-size
63 > Available versions: 1.1 **9999
64 > Installed versions: 1.1(13:07:28 22/02/15)
65 > Homepage: https://github.com/majutsushi/urxvt-font-size/
68 >#
69 >
70 ># qlist urxvt-font-size
71 >/usr/lib64/urxvt/perl/font-size
72 >/usr/share/doc/urxvt-font-size-1.1/README.markdown.bz2
73 >#
74 >
75 >[I compared what I have currently installed] with the 9999 version, which
76 >is the version that, IIUC, I plan to hopefully try and patch with your
77 >patch...
78 Cannot figure out what IIUC is but anyway. Patching will fail with the
79 v1.1-tag commit (two years, four month old).
80
81 I would recommend not to hassle portage with those tiny installs (at
82 least on a single user machine). Simply tell rxvt-unicode where it can
83 find your additionally extension script(s) by using for instance:
84 URxvt.perl-lib: $HOME/.config/urxvt/ext
85
86 in your Xresource file for rxvt-unicode. Have a look at urxvt(1) manual
87 for more alternatives. I see only one disadvantage, you have to apply
88 the patch manually but only once if you are using a local Git repo (as
89 you do and mentioned in your reply).
90
91 >> [2] <https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/a4d58e993934aa4a273998eda030d115>
92 >The link that Savchenko gave in that email is puzzling me:
93 >http://rcr.io/words/dynamic-xterm-colors.html
94 >I want to try and figure out that bash script there... It's very
95 >educational.
96 >
97 >I need more time to study this. […]
98 Not necessary if you rarely use it (in my opinion) but always good to
99 known that it is there when you need it. Becomes probably very handy
100 e.g. for terminal prompt designs, window titling or:
101 - quickly change/test fonts, where <type> is one of {710..713} which
102 stands for regular, bold, italic, bold-italic and <font> something
103 like 9x15, fixed or xft:termminus-12 and so on.
104 $ printf '\e]%s;%s\007' "<type>" "<font>"
105 - query RGB colour values, where <colournumber> is one of {0..255}
106 $ echo -ne "\033]4;<colournumber>;?\007"
107 - window sizing/positioning (e.g. 1144x954+0+0 bound to Ctrl+F11) in
108 urxvt. Did you remember the syntax? :-)
109 URxvt.keysym.C-F11: command:\033[4;1144;954t\033[3;0;0t
110 - ...
111
112 > […] But I do have a question:
113 >
114 >I read, somewhere, spender (the author of grsecurity) wrote it, but I
115 >don't recall the entire context, and so I can only vaguely paraphrase
116 >what I remember he wrote, that... Aaargh, can't remember well at all...
117 >I think it wasn't about perl only, or perl wasn't even mentioned
118 >explicity, but it was spender saying how running scripts by using stuff
119 >like:
120 >
121 >#!/usr/bin/env [perl|python|...]
122 >(
123 >in the new script it's
124 >#!/usr/bin/env perl
125 >)
126 Yes, with commit 83da253a7946c85d65fbf9c3a983bd6ef51420aa the explicit
127 path declaration for perl was removed.
128
129 >instead of the more simple, traditional shebang line:
130 >
131 >#!/usr/bin/<interpreter> # perl or python or bash
132 >
133 >(
134 >in the old script it's
135 >#!/usr/bin/perl
136 >)
137 >
138 >that the former (...env <interpreter>) is not as safe as the latter
139 >(...bin/<interpreter>).
140 >
141 >Why was it necessary to introduce that change? I'm referring to Jan's
142 >change, of course.
143 >
144 >It can't be it does not bring a tiny bit more into the attack surface,
145 >can it?
146 I do not think so. It is probably rather a portability related decision.
147 Have a look at a blog post by Michał Górny [1] for some light on this.
148
149 >And my plan is... Probably bump the ebuild into my custom overlay, as I
150 >don't install online from git (until it becomes possible to verifiably
151 >install packages while online, I mean: for non-experts like me; it is
152 >possible to verifiably install packages with the old webrsync, also
153 >while online...; OTOH app-crypt/gkeys that Savchenko recommended to me
154 >in an email a month or two ago to try and test, those do bring in
155 >more verifiability when installing from git, but I haven't found time to
156 >study gkeys yet...)
157 Same here. I does not knew app-crypt/gkeys previously and it sounds very
158 interesting. It is totally overdue nowadays to have something like that
159 for the rsync protocol.
160
161 >[And my plan is... Probably bump the ebuild into my custom overlay,]
162 >modify it to get the git source served from my local Apache cgit repo
163 >[1] (and urxvt-font-size package is not even PGP-signed, neither tags
164 >nor commits, which is always an important feature missing with the code,
165 >for me...)
166 Maybe a kindly request upstream for signed tags may change this.
167
168 >[modify it to get the git source from my local Apache cgit repo], put
169 >your patch in /etc/portage/patches/x11-misc/urxvt-font-size/ check that
170 >my /etc/portage/bashrc is ready to apply user patches (I recently
171 >updated it as per the wiki page, gave the link in another email a couple
172 >of days ago, to this list, yeah, it was in the non-replied-to message to
173 >Ian Zimmermann in a 2 emails --so far-- thread split from this one...
174 >which was about window positions as well!... [2]), and...
175 >
176 >...And emerge it:
177 >
178 ># emerge urxvt-font-size
179 >
180 >Courious to read what your opinion is on usage of /env vs plain /bin
181 >scripts security-wise, as I put it further above! And why that change...
182 >
183 >Regards!
184 >---
185 >[1] I have actually learned when installing gnunet from
186 > youbroketheinternet-overlay just two days ago that I probably can
187 > use local overlay even without seving it with cgit and Apache,
188 > simply from local filesystem!
189 >
190 >[2] openbox window positions
191 > https://lists.gt.net/gentoo/user/325342
192 > (and my reply to it contains digressions, but also simple
193 > questions...)
194 >
195 Your plan with the Apache cgit repo seems to be a nice challenge to
196 learn something but as I noted above, creating and maintaining an
197 overlay for so tiny things is a little bit overkill in my opinion.
198 Fetching the related Git repository from time to time and you are done
199 while an overlay needs probably more significant work.
200
201 As an example, I am currently just imagine I have to create overlays for
202 my favourite Vim plugins instead of using well known manager like
203 Vundle, NeoBundle, Dein or what else. That were a lot of work for the
204 overlay solution or did I miss the point?
207 References:
208 [1] <https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2016/02/08/a-quick-note-on-portable-shebangs/>
211 Regards,
212 floyd