From: krzaq <krzakers@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] low-level formatting a harddrive
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:20:39
1 On 10/18/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello everbody,
3 >
4 > Maxtor suggests I do a low-level format of my flaky
5 > Diamond 16 drive using their Powermax tool.
6 > Unfortunately it doesn't give you the option of
7 > sparing one partition or the other -- it does the
8 > whole thing.
9 >
10 > I strongly suspect the problem lies on the first half
11 > of the drive where XP-pro used to reside. Is there a
12 > way to do a low-level format of part of a drive while
13 > leaving the rest intact?
14 If you have the drive partitioned you can
15
16 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdaX
17
18 Where hdaX is the partition to zero out. This should
19 be equivalent to a low level format.
20
21 PS:
22 Have you tried running badblocks on it?
25 Regards
26 Karol Krzak
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list