From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] low-level formatting a harddrive
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:37:25
1 --- krzaq <krzakers@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 10/18/05, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello everbody,
6 > >
7 > > Maxtor suggests I do a low-level format of my
8 > flaky
9 > > Diamond 16 drive using their Powermax tool.
10 > > Unfortunately it doesn't give you the option of
11 > > sparing one partition or the other -- it does the
12 > > whole thing.
13 > >
14 > > I strongly suspect the problem lies on the first
15 > half
16 > > of the drive where XP-pro used to reside. Is there
17 > a
18 > > way to do a low-level format of part of a drive
19 > while
20 > > leaving the rest intact?
21 > If you have the drive partitioned you can
22 >
23 > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdaX
24 >
25 > Where hdaX is the partition to zero out. This should
26 > be equivalent to a low level format.
27
28 Done, but problem remains: the start of the drive
29 seems un-writable for some reason. It won't even let
30 me install Win98!, get
31
32 run-time error R6003 integer divide by 0sk
33 setup found errors on your hard disk
34
35 I told the tech at Maxtor that it could boot linux
36 from another drive and *couldn't* boot MS products at
37 all.
38
39 He says, if the drive has errors then nothing will
40 work. Entire drive must be zeroed.
41
42 Would a true test involve zeroing the whole thing? I
43 don't see why if the file systems were always intact
44 even when XP-pro was installed(though not booting) on
45 the first half of this 120G HDrive.
46
47 I wonder if there isn't a tiny part of the drive that
48 comes before the first partition, like those first few
49 grooves on a vinyl record ;-)
52 > PS:
53 > Have you tried running badblocks on it?
54
55 none found
56 >
57 > --
58 > Regards
59 > Karol Krzak
60 >
61 > --
62 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
71 Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
72 http://mail.yahoo.com
73 --
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list