From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg CPU spike with Firefox
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:49:40
1 On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:22:17PM +0100, Penguin Lover Rudmer van Dijk squawked:
2 > are you sure this is only with firefox?
3
4 so far this is the only app that I observed it with. xterm/aterm were
5 left open for hours, a few large image editing jobs were done with
6 gimp. Abiword and acroread I only had open for shorter periods of time
7 (several minutes tops) so I cannot say with absolutely certainty that
8 they don't cause the same behaviour.
9
10 But firefox really stood out since almost every operation on it
11 (starting it, clicking a link, get a new blank tab opened, pasting in
12 a link, etc.) causes the CPU spike.
13
14 > I have noticed this behavior too but due to lack of time I have reverted to
15 > use xorg-server-1.1.1-r4 for me it looked like every application triggered a
16 > cpu load of >90% by X. only I normally have a firefox window open all the
17 > time...
18
19 Right, on my stable box everything works like a charm. And I think
20 they even improved the firefox memory leak problem between 1.5.x and
21 2.0.x, since now I can leave a dozen tabs open for a week or two
22 without OOM killer kicking in.
23
24 > have you tried a rebuild of firefox _after_ installation of then new xorg
25 > packages? maybe that will solve the problem.
26
27 Yes, actually, just now I tried both 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.1-r2, so it is
28 probably a problem with xorg.
29
30 Since you are also observing the problem, I'll try reverting to a
31 lower version of xorg-server and see.
32
33 Thanks,
34
35 W
36 --
37 "I'm going to do this in more stupid fashion in a moment."
38 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 58 days, 19:55
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list