From: Rudmer van Dijk <rudmer.van.dijk@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg CPU spike with Firefox
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:27:42
1 On Sunday 04 February 2007, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Febuary 2nd, I upgrade xorg from 7.1 to 7.2, which also pulled in
3 > an upgrade for xorg-server, libXdamage, and other things.
4 >
5 > Starting yesterday (the 3rd of Feb), I noticed lock-ups when ever
6 > firefox is open. At first I thought it was the fault of the animated
7 > background, but then I found out that it still happened if I started a
8 > no-frills, barebone fvwm session. I tried almost all of my other X
9 > applications, and none of them had these behaviour (mplayer, inkscape,
10 > gimp, abiword included).
11 >
12 > When I start firefox, the cpu use for X shots up to 90+ percent (for
13 > X, not for firefox) for several minutes, and everytime I open a new
14 > tab X cpu use goes up to 90+ percent for several minutes, during which
15 > firefox is completely unresponsive, and xterms that I opened have a
16 > lag of round 0.5 - 2 seconds between keypress and character appearing
17 > on screen.
18
19 are you sure this is only with firefox?
20 I have noticed this behavior too but due to lack of time I have reverted to
21 use xorg-server-1.1.1-r4 for me it looked like every application triggered a
22 cpu load of >90% by X. only I normally have a firefox window open all the
23 time...
24
25 have you tried a rebuild of firefox _after_ installation of then new xorg
26 packages? maybe that will solve the problem.
27
28 Rudmer
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list