From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 23:24:08
1 On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/01/2012 05:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> I'm not clear. Why does one ever bother with emerge -u package? In 10
6 >> years of Gentoo I've managed to get by with basically either emerge
7 >> package to add something or emerge -DuN @world to stay updated. (or
8 >> @system in the old days but no longer...)
11 > Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial version bumps
12 > and replace major software at the same time. I can't take a server down for
13 > an hour in the middle of the day to update Apache, but I can bump
14 > timezone-data, sure.
15 >
16 > Even when there aren't any major packages, sometimes I'll do the smaller
17 > ones in chunks, so that if something breaks I don't have to revert 300
18 > packages.
22 >> Not picking on anyone but in my mind emerge -u package _should_ add
23 >> the package to the world file because any time I run emerge with a
24 >> package name and without -1 I'm telling it to make it part of @world.
25 >> If it's not part of @world, and is already on the machine, then emerge
26 >> -DuN @world is the right way to get it and everything else updated.
29 > No offense taken, that's why I asked. I can almost never get away with a
30 > full world update except on my personal machines, so the way --update works
31 > is important to me.
32 >
33 > Adding unwanted packages to world is especially bad because there are things
34 > like amavisd-new that have undeclared (optional?) dependencies on
35 > miscellaneous perl packages. After a few months, I don't remember which perl
36 > packages I wanted vs. which ones portage stuck in there by accident, so the
37 > world file just grows and grows.
38 >
39 > Adding --oneshot to the default opts is probably the way to go when I'm
40 > ready to concede that I'll forget -1 occasionally. It feels dirty, though.
43 OK, makes sense to me.
44
45 1) I only do home machines. My family all over California now runs
46 Gentoo and has for years. Windows no longer exists anywhere except in
47 VMs. Clearly I can see why someone running production machines
48 wouldn't want to do that.
49
50 2) I forget the -1 sometimes when I do an individual package update.
51 However I generally remember to go back and hand edit the world file
52 once a quarter or so and remove anything that isn't a real
53 application, etc.
54
55 Glad I wasn't sounding too negative. It wasn't my intention.
56
57 Cheers,
58 Mark