From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 23:11:37
1 On 01/01/2012 05:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not clear. Why does one ever bother with emerge -u package? In 10
4 > years of Gentoo I've managed to get by with basically either emerge
5 > package to add something or emerge -DuN @world to stay updated. (or
6 > @system in the old days but no longer...)
7
8 Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial version
9 bumps and replace major software at the same time. I can't take a server
10 down for an hour in the middle of the day to update Apache, but I can
11 bump timezone-data, sure.
12
13 Even when there aren't any major packages, sometimes I'll do the smaller
14 ones in chunks, so that if something breaks I don't have to revert 300
15 packages.
18 > Not picking on anyone but in my mind emerge -u package _should_ add
19 > the package to the world file because any time I run emerge with a
20 > package name and without -1 I'm telling it to make it part of @world.
21 > If it's not part of @world, and is already on the machine, then emerge
22 > -DuN @world is the right way to get it and everything else updated.
23
24 No offense taken, that's why I asked. I can almost never get away with a
25 full world update except on my personal machines, so the way --update
26 works is important to me.
27
28 Adding unwanted packages to world is especially bad because there are
29 things like amavisd-new that have undeclared (optional?) dependencies on
30 miscellaneous perl packages. After a few months, I don't remember which
31 perl packages I wanted vs. which ones portage stuck in there by
32 accident, so the world file just grows and grows.
33
34 Adding --oneshot to the default opts is probably the way to go when I'm
35 ready to concede that I'll forget -1 occasionally. It feels dirty, though.