From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fate of nmh
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:10:14
1 On 07/11/2010 01:47 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 July 2010 20:42:54 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> # unless a new maintainer can be found, this package is
4 >> # slated for removal.
5 >> #
6 >> # Removal on 2010-08-23
7 >>
8 >> This is what I use for my mail reader -- with the emacs interface -- so
9 >> I am wondering what I can do once this happens -- I imagine I can keep
10 >> it installed, but it would not be a good situation.
11 >>
12 >> thanks in advance for any ideas.
13 >
14 > Pick one:
15 >
16 > 1. use another mailer. There's no shortage of them
17 > 2. fix nmh yourself. It seems like no-one else is going to.
18
19 Or, you can choose to live with it as is. You might want to look at the
20 "quickpkg" man page and save nmh and mask it out.
21
22 This is one of the concepts that will "blindside" a new Gentoo user. One
23 usually thinks that once a package is found in Portage that he can then
24 rely on it ~ad infinitum~. Well, the folks who write FOSS sometimes just
25 move on and unless someone picks up the gauntlet to maintain the
26 package, it withers and dies.