From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs only, without dracut
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 20:51:11
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Now that I know how to use dracut I'm basically using it everywhere,
3 > even for VMs that have a single ext4 partition (where it really is a
4 > bit overkill). For the most part it is plug-and-play, and once you
5 > start getting multiple disks involved it adds a lot of robustness.
6 > Dracut can fsck your disks if you want, it can reliably mount the
7 > right root even with fairly confusing layouts, and it actually
8 > respects whatever is in /etc/fstab. It can also be told to mount
9 > anything you want before pivoting via an additional fstab (with the
10 > usual syntax).
11 >
12 > Sure, in theory it is one more thing that can go wrong, but I look at
13 > it more like one thing that can help get things to go right when they
14 > would otherwise go wrong.
15 >
16 > I'd encourage anybody who hasn't used it to at least get an
17 > understanding of it. It can make your life easier.
18 >
19 > There was a Lennart article about using the initramfs to do shutdown
20 > which was good reading. The concept is that you can cleanly unmount
21 > everything this way, and it also handles FUSE much better.
22 >
23 > Rich
28 I might add, I used dracut for a while. A while back when I went to
29 boot back up, shutdown because my power went out, the init thingy
30 failed. I had zero clue on how to fix it so I edited grub to ignore the
31 init part and booted up the old way. Once booted, I kicked out the init
32 thingy and haven't built one since. I posted this a good while back,
33 init thingy fails, it's gone. You are right, it is one more thing that
34 can go wrong. It certainly hasn't fixed anything yet but it sure did
35 break and keep me from booting with it. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!