From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs only, without dracut
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 13:39:48
1 On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 17.05.2014 20:48, schrieb Greg Turner:
3 >> But if you have it working now without any initramfs then
4 >> obviously that is full of win (the LA kind, not the Redmond variety)!
5 >
6 > I wonder if there are any real advantages of booting *with* the
7 > initramfs even when you don't need it.
8 >
9 ...
10 > ... it seems to me that this adds something like an additional layer
11 > around certain things and helps to make all that more bulletproof?
14 Now that I know how to use dracut I'm basically using it everywhere,
15 even for VMs that have a single ext4 partition (where it really is a
16 bit overkill). For the most part it is plug-and-play, and once you
17 start getting multiple disks involved it adds a lot of robustness.
18 Dracut can fsck your disks if you want, it can reliably mount the
19 right root even with fairly confusing layouts, and it actually
20 respects whatever is in /etc/fstab. It can also be told to mount
21 anything you want before pivoting via an additional fstab (with the
22 usual syntax).
23
24 Sure, in theory it is one more thing that can go wrong, but I look at
25 it more like one thing that can help get things to go right when they
26 would otherwise go wrong.
27
28 I'd encourage anybody who hasn't used it to at least get an
29 understanding of it. It can make your life easier.
30
31 There was a Lennart article about using the initramfs to do shutdown
32 which was good reading. The concept is that you can cleanly unmount
33 everything this way, and it also handles FUSE much better.
34
35 Rich