From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs only, without dracut
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 07:05:11
1 Am 17.05.2014 20:48, schrieb Greg Turner:
2 > On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at>wrote:
3 >
4 >> It seems to not detect or interpret correctly the fact that there are 2
5 >> physical devices in there and then the "linux ..." line for grub.cfg
6 >> gets messed up, at least for me here.
9 > ACK, genkernel initramfs doesn't "btrfs scan" and TSHTF. genkernel-next
10 > works though.
11
12 I use dracut for generating the initramfs.
13
14 > But if you have it working now without any initramfs then
15 > obviously that is full of win (the LA kind, not the Redmond variety)!
16
17 I wonder if there are any real advantages of booting *with* the
18 initramfs even when you don't need it.
19
20 When I look at what dracut does in interaction with systemd:
21
22 https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#dracutbootup7
23
24 https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#_dracut_on_shutdown
25
26 ... it seems to me that this adds something like an additional layer
27 around certain things and helps to make all that more bulletproof?
28
29 Or do I misinterpret here?
30
31 > I am a bit mystified -- or perhaps ignorant -- as to how it came to be that
32 > btrfs has no option to automatically initiate a scan (like md raid does,
33 > when it's built into the kernel as a non-module). Surely people must want
34 > that feature. I can see how scanning the wrong partitions could lead to
35 > terrible mayhem, though, say, in a disaster recovery scenario where you
36 > binary-cloned a failing drive and forgot to take the old one out before
37 > booting or whatever.... but btrfs has the secret sauce to most likely
38 > figure stuff like that out auto-magically anyhow, using the genid... so
39 > what gives? Anyone know?
40
41 I don't. Not yet.