From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs only, without dracut
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 16:39:57
1 Am 19.05.2014 15:39, schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> ... it seems to me that this adds something like an additional layer
4 >> around certain things and helps to make all that more bulletproof?
7 > Now that I know how to use dracut I'm basically using it everywhere,
8 > even for VMs that have a single ext4 partition (where it really is a
9 > bit overkill). For the most part it is plug-and-play, and once you
10 > start getting multiple disks involved it adds a lot of robustness.
11 > Dracut can fsck your disks if you want, it can reliably mount the
12 > right root even with fairly confusing layouts, and it actually
13 > respects whatever is in /etc/fstab. It can also be told to mount
14 > anything you want before pivoting via an additional fstab (with the
15 > usual syntax).
16
17 Yes, it looks like a small system to me that boots and works before "the
18 real system" boots up.
19
20 > Sure, in theory it is one more thing that can go wrong, but I look at
21 > it more like one thing that can help get things to go right when they
22 > would otherwise go wrong.
23 >
24 > I'd encourage anybody who hasn't used it to at least get an
25 > understanding of it. It can make your life easier.
26
27 So my impressions were right, thanks for agreeing and explaining.
28
29 > There was a Lennart article about using the initramfs to do shutdown
30 > which was good reading. The concept is that you can cleanly unmount
31 > everything this way, and it also handles FUSE much better.
32
33 Do you have an URL at hand for that?
34
35 Thanks, Stefan