From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how can I everr switch to profile 17.1?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:01:42
1 On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:46:43 -0400,
2 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > John Covici wrote:
5 > > It would seem impossible for me to switch to profile 17.1. I say this
6 > > because I can never run emerge --depclean . I have a few packages
7 > > which will not compile and one not in the tree anymore. the packages
8 > > which will not compile are mono-4.4.1.0 and totem-3.30 -- I have filed
9 > > bugs against both of them. Inn no longer configures and I have
10 > > discussed this in another thread. So, where can I go with this? I
11 > > hate to just go forward, although these packages look they don't have
12 > > any lib32 dependencies. Wat do you thihnk about this?
13 > >
14 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
19 > I read other replies and had a thought.  Couldn't you run emerge -p
20 > --depclean and let it list what needs cleaning up, then clean it up
21 > manually with -C or some other option that works?  It would take more
22 > time to do it that way but at least you would have a cleaner system
23 > without removing your packages you want to keep.  May make the profile
24 > switch easier.
25 >
26 > Also, you could use --exclude on --depclean as well.  Since I rarely
27 > reboot, I do manual updates on my kernel, I emerge them then mask them
28 > so it doesn't want to update every little version increase.  When I run
29 > --depclean, I have to use --exclude gentoo-sources to make it ignore my
30 > kernel sources.  In your case, emerge -p --depclean --exclude mono
31 > --exclude totem --exclude inn, assuming I have that last one spelled
32 > correctly.
33 >
34 > Just make sure you use -a or -p with those first.  Wouldn't want to
35 > forget and really mess up something.  :/
36 >
37 > Would either of those work for you?
38
39 Here is the exact output from emerge --depclean
40
41 Calculating dependencies ........ done!
42 * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
43 * the following required packages not being installed:
44 *
45 * gnome-base/gnome-desktop:3/12= pulled in by:
46 * media-video/totem-3.24.0
47 *
48 * dev-libs/openssl:0/0= pulled in by:
49 * net-nntp/inn-2.5.5-r1
50 *
51 * Have you forgotten to do a complete update prior to
52 depclean? The
53 * most comprehensive command for this purpose is as
54 follows:
55 *
56 * emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y
57 @world
58 *
59 * Note that the --with-bdeps=y option is not
60 required in many
61 * situations. Refer to the emerge manual page
62 (run `man emerge`)
63 * for more information about --with-bdeps.
64 *
65 * Also, note that it may be necessary to
66 manually uninstall
67 * packages that no longer exist in the
68 repository, since it may not
69 * be possible to satisfy their
70 dependencies.
74 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
75 How do
76 you spend it?
77
78 John Covici wb2una