From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how can I everr switch to profile 17.1?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 16:46:52
1 John Covici wrote:
2 > It would seem impossible for me to switch to profile 17.1. I say this
3 > because I can never run emerge --depclean . I have a few packages
4 > which will not compile and one not in the tree anymore. the packages
5 > which will not compile are mono-4.4.1.0 and totem-3.30 -- I have filed
6 > bugs against both of them. Inn no longer configures and I have
7 > discussed this in another thread. So, where can I go with this? I
8 > hate to just go forward, although these packages look they don't have
9 > any lib32 dependencies. Wat do you thihnk about this?
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
16 I read other replies and had a thought.  Couldn't you run emerge -p
17 --depclean and let it list what needs cleaning up, then clean it up
18 manually with -C or some other option that works?  It would take more
19 time to do it that way but at least you would have a cleaner system
20 without removing your packages you want to keep.  May make the profile
21 switch easier.
22
23 Also, you could use --exclude on --depclean as well.  Since I rarely
24 reboot, I do manual updates on my kernel, I emerge them then mask them
25 so it doesn't want to update every little version increase.  When I run
26 --depclean, I have to use --exclude gentoo-sources to make it ignore my
27 kernel sources.  In your case, emerge -p --depclean --exclude mono
28 --exclude totem --exclude inn, assuming I have that last one spelled
29 correctly.
30
31 Just make sure you use -a or -p with those first.  Wouldn't want to
32 forget and really mess up something.  :/
33
34 Would either of those work for you?
35
36 Dale