From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:04:24
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:31:28 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > I was once somewhat familiar with UUID-based fstab when I was still
5 > using Ubuntu. Too bad I've deleted my last Ubuntu VM a couple of
6 > weeks ago. Let's see if I can still find my installation notes...
9 That's the easy part.
10
11 Column 1 in /etc/fstab identifies which partition is to be mounted.
12 Identifiers need to be unique.
13
14 Device names in /dev/ are no longer stable, they can and do move around
15 and change.
16 User-defined labels are a good choice but users can and do re-use the
17 same labels.
18 All filesystems generate a GUID for themselves and these are guaranteed
19 to be unique in the universe, so simply put it in column 1 and mount
20 will never ever get it wrong.
21
22 Ubuntu takes this approach to be able to give guarantees about
23 installers. It works well. Until you find you want to edit fstab by
24 hand.
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com