From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:32:42
1 On Nov 26, 2011 1:05 AM, "James" <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu <at> poluan.info> writes:
6 > > Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
7 > > starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
8 > > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
9 complex.
10 >
11 > I feel your pain....
12 > I too have had trouble sorting out new installs with raid, GPT,
13 > and LVM.
14 >
15 > Have you seen these guides?
16 >
17 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
18
19 This one I've read. Okay, glanced. After finding myself starting blankly at
20 the screen for a couple of minutes, I decided to read it again later :-)
21
22 > http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
25 Haven't seen this one before. Gotta check it out. Thanks!
26
27 > > So, I want to start from something simple.
28 > > Comments, suggestions, are welcome :)
29 >
30 > (OK)
31 >
32 > Well the problem is multifaceted, imho, with LVM being just
33 > a singular issue among the mix. Grub is evolving and the old
34 > grub has troubles with RAID. Add mdadm, disk over 2T, UUID and the
35 > issues becomes really murky quickly.
36 >
37 > What (IMHO) needs to happen, is the community needs to write some
38 > install guides, based on notes from several installations, that
39 > allow for various types of installations (with explicit syntax in-line)
40 > that starts from simple to complex.
41 >
42 > If we keep using the same installation semantics (examples)
43 > then the only thing that will change is the additional information on
44 > the installation complexity. We could use the new gentoo wiki
45 > for development. I know much of this is redundant with the handbook
46 > for installation, which would still be the "master reference" for
47 > installations, but there would be a multiplicative example base
48 > to compliment the handbook and more specifically focused to the
49 > issues of a given installation. There is precedence for this; The
50 > handbook already has version for different hardware architectures.
51 >
52 > So what I'm proposing is that when someone feels motivated, keep notes
53 > on your particular installation details, and post the notes (as
54 > a work in progress) to the gentoo wiki. Then the next time someone
55 > performs an installation, then look at the 'work in progress', use
56 > the example, edit (add more detail) to the example, and update
57 > the wiki. Over time these guides, focused on a particularly specific
58 > example, could be referenced along with the installation handbook,
59 > as a compliment. Just look at the handbook in section 4, Preparing
60 > the disk. Woefully antiquated!
63 Actually, I have been keeping notes of all my installs, complete with
64 remarks to keep reminding my why I did this or that.
65
66 More for my own documentation, actually. I've honed my installation
67 procedure so much that it only bears a passing resemblance to the handbook.
68
69 I'll try to distill the notes and see if I can upload it to the wiki.
72 > So I would also break it down into (2) main examples. One with a very
73 simple
74 > boot/root/swap scheme and another with many physically separate
75 partitions,
76 > such as (Pandu) seeks. In the second example of many (maximum)
77 partitions, a
78 > discussion of the merits, such as why /tmp should be on a separate
79 > partition and such could be included. In fact, if only these (2) examples
80 were
81 > developed, we could removed the parts of the installation
82 > instructions, such as GPT, or LVM or RAID in order to create
83 > the other simpler installation instruction guides. Also how
84 > you reference the drives (UUID) in the fstab is an
85 > integral part of the installation landscape, that is changing.
86 > Not to mention legacy bios and the latest issue of UEFI.
89 I was once somewhat familiar with UUID-based fstab when I was still using
90 Ubuntu. Too bad I've deleted my last Ubuntu VM a couple of weeks ago. Let's
91 see if I can still find my installation notes...
92
93 Rgds,