From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:58:22
1 Pandu Poluan <pandu <at> poluan.info> writes:
4 > Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
5 > starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
6 > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty complex.
7
8 I feel your pain....
9 I too have had trouble sorting out new installs with raid, GPT,
10 and LVM.
11
12 Have you seen these guides?
13
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
15 http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
16
17 > So, I want to start from something simple.
18 > Comments, suggestions, are welcome :)
19
20 (OK)
21
22 Well the problem is multifaceted, imho, with LVM being just
23 a singular issue among the mix. Grub is evolving and the old
24 grub has troubles with RAID. Add mdadm, disk over 2T, UUID and the
25 issues becomes really murky quickly.
26
27 What (IMHO) needs to happen, is the community needs to write some
28 install guides, based on notes from several installations, that
29 allow for various types of installations (with explicit syntax in-line)
30 that starts from simple to complex.
31
32 If we keep using the same installation semantics (examples)
33 then the only thing that will change is the additional information on
34 the installation complexity. We could use the new gentoo wiki
35 for development. I know much of this is redundant with the handbook
36 for installation, which would still be the "master reference" for
37 installations, but there would be a multiplicative example base
38 to compliment the handbook and more specifically focused to the
39 issues of a given installation. There is precedence for this; The
40 handbook already has version for different hardware architectures.
41
42 So what I'm proposing is that when someone feels motivated, keep notes
43 on your particular installation details, and post the notes (as
44 a work in progress) to the gentoo wiki. Then the next time someone
45 performs an installation, then look at the 'work in progress', use
46 the example, edit (add more detail) to the example, and update
47 the wiki. Over time these guides, focused on a particularly specific
48 example, could be referenced along with the installation handbook,
49 as a compliment. Just look at the handbook in section 4, Preparing
50 the disk. Woefully antiquated!
53 So I would also break it down into (2) main examples. One with a very simple
54 boot/root/swap scheme and another with many physically separate partitions,
55 such as (Pandu) seeks. In the second example of many (maximum) partitions, a
56 discussion of the merits, such as why /tmp should be on a separate
57 partition and such could be included. In fact, if only these (2) examples were
58 developed, we could removed the parts of the installation
59 instructions, such as GPT, or LVM or RAID in order to create
60 the other simpler installation instruction guides. Also how
61 you reference the drives (UUID) in the fstab is an
62 integral part of the installation landscape, that is changing.
63 Not to mention legacy bios and the latest issue of UEFI.
66 Personally, I've made several attempts to install a new work station
67 with RAID 1 on boot/root/swap, using 2T seagate drives, some time
68 ago. I did not want to use LVM and grub would not boot. I think
69 I'll give that install another whirl and yes, I'll post to the
70 wiki, once I get it right.
71
72 hth,
73 James