From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No /dev entries in recent stage3 snapshots?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 01:29:28
1 On 2009-01-24, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:55:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a server running that hets that null/console missing
5 >> message every boot - and it does not hurt it at any way.
6 >
7 > A missing /dev/console stops the boot process here. It boots
8 > without /dev/null, but only after udev spews out a load of
9 > messages.
10
11 Ah, not to worry: I've been assured in the gentoo forum thread
12 that the problems we see when the root filesystem doesn't have
13 proper /dev/null and /dev/console nodes aren't really
14 happening:
15
16 Neither /dev/null nor /dev/console are needed at boot-time,
17 therefore their absence doesn't cause problems.
18
19 [You must admit the argument is flawless -- though I still
20 question the premise.]
21
22 In order to get rid of my problems that weren't happening, I
23 initially tried the "mount -bind" and "cp -a" commands that
24 show up in /etc/issue when your /dev directory is hosed. That
25 didn't help: after setting /etc/issue back to the default file
26 and rebooting all the same problems still weren't happening
27 (and /etc/issue was again modified to tell me to do mount -bind
28 and cp -a to fix them).
29
30 Then I tried booting with root in rw mode and init=/bin/bash
31 and then doing a MAKEDEV generic-i386. (I found that recipe in
32 an old mailing list somewhere.) MAKEDEV complained a lot about
33 not being able to read /proc/devices. When I rebooted, I still
34 had the all same problems not happening as before.
35
36 I finally booted from a minimal install CD, mounted my root
37 partition, removed its /dev directory completely and then
38 re-created it by untaring ./dev from a good stage3 tarball. Now
39 the system boots up smoothly. I feel like a bit of a fool
40 expending so much effort getting rid of problems that weren't
41 happening -- but, now the problems that weren't happening are
42 gone, so I'm happy.
43
44 ;)
47 Grant