From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No /dev entries in recent stage3 snapshots?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 01:37:32
1 On 2009-01-25, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-24, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:55:10 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I have a server running that hets that null/console missing
6 >>> message every boot - and it does not hurt it at any way.
7 >>
8 >> A missing /dev/console stops the boot process here. It boots
9 >> without /dev/null, but only after udev spews out a load of
10 >> messages.
11 >
12 > Ah, not to worry: I've been assured in the gentoo forum thread
13 > that the problems we see when the root filesystem doesn't have
14 > proper /dev/null and /dev/console nodes aren't really
15 > happening:
16 >
17 > Neither /dev/null nor /dev/console are needed at boot-time,
18 > therefore their absence doesn't cause problems.
19
20 For posterity's sake, one of the problems that wasn't happening
21 was that my root partition always had to be recovered at
22 startup -- it apparently wasn't getting properly unmounted
23 during shutdown. After re-creating the root partition's /dev
24 tree, that was cured.
25
26 This leads one to suspect that the block device node for the
27 root partition (/dev/hda3 in my case) is also required along
28 with /dev/null and /dev/console for proper start-up and
29 shut-down.
32 Grant