From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.4 -> 2.6 wierdness
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:44:51
1 Martins Steinbergs schreef:
2 >> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:55, Holly Bostick wrote:
3 >>
4 >>>
5 >>
6 >>To me, errors in agpgart first suggest that either support for your
7 >>motherboard's agp chipset is not compiled into the kernel, or --if
8 >>compiled as a module, is not loaded; and secondly, the outside chance
9 >>that-- if using an ATI card-- the InternalAGPGART setting is wrong;
10 <snip>
11 >>
12 >>What does dmesg or /var/log/messages say about agpgart? Did it try to
13 >>load and fail? What does lsmod say is loaded? If nothing, can you
14 >>modprobe your agpgart module? What is your mobo and video card? If an
15 >>ATI or nVidia video card, did you re-emerge the drivers after compiling
16 >>the kernel?
17 >>
18 >>Basically, I'd just like to confirm that genkernel didn't drop the ball.
19 >>
20 >>Holly
21
22 > these are my autoload modules, commented are ones that some HOWTO pointed to
23 > but never worked.
24 >
25 > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
26 > agpgart
27 > #via-agp
28 > #ati-agp
29 > fglrx
30 > #radeon
31 > rtc
32 > snd-via82xx
33 > r8169
34 > #drm
35 > amd64-agp
36
37 OK, so you have both the via and ati agpgarts commented out, the
38 amd64-agp module set to load and you *are* using a ATI card with the
39 fglrx drivers. I don't have an amd64 board, so I don't know if that
40 module is the correct one for your motherboard, but if you don't have a
41 VIA-based or ATI-based motherboard (yes, ATI does make motherboards,
42 lately), you can remove the commented entries for via-agp and ati-agp,
43 because they have nothing to do with you anyway, and there's no point.
44
45 Could you please tell us your motherboard make and model, so we could
46 determine what module you actually need? The output of lsmod would also
47 help, to show us what modules are actually loaded.
48
49 I also see that you have 'drm' commented. That's not good-- not because
50 you should be using kernel DRM (first rule of ATI drivers is: 'disable
51 kernel DRI'), but because it suggests that DRM is going to be set in
52 some way in your kernel config.... and the default is to compile it
53 directly into the kernel, which is not affected by
54 modules.autoload.d/kernel-anything (because it's not a loadable module).
55
56 OK so from this point, we could d*ck around with the kernel, or we could
57 narrow down the problem. I think narrowing down the problem is easier,
58 especially since you don't seem in a rush to check your logs or post the
59 logs or give us any details as to what your hardware actually is, or
60 whatever.
61
62 Try this:
63
64 open up xorg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) in a text editor as root (nano
65 works good for this) and change the following:
66
67 # === ATI device section ===
68
69 Section "Device"
70 Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter"
71 Driver "fglrx"
75 # === ATI device section ===
76
77 Section "Device"
78 Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter"
79 Driver "vesa"
80
81 I am assuming with this edit that your server flags at the end of the
82 config file looks like this:
83
84 # **********************************************************************
85 # Screen sections
86 # **********************************************************************
87
88 # Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
89 # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
90 # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
91 # option.
92 Section "Screen"
93 Identifier "Screen0"
94 Device "ATI Graphics Adapter"
95 Monitor "Monitor0"
96 DefaultDepth 24
97 #Option "backingstore"
98
99 Subsection "Display"
100 Depth 24
101 Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
102 "800x600" "640x480"
103 ViewPort 0 0 # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
104 # Virtual 1280 1024
105 EndSubsection
106 EndSection
107
108 ------------------------------------------------------------------
109
110 (which means that the 'screen'-- which is a combination of the video
111 card and monitor settings specified above this area) is using the
112 settings for the ATI Graphics adapter device (whose driver we have just
113 changed to vesa from fglrx). But my xorg.conf looks like this because I
114 at some point used fglrxconfig, and maybe you haven't.
115
116 If your screen section does *not* look like what's above, for whatever
117 reason, then you can also switch to the vesa driver from the fglrx
118 driver by editing the Screen section itself:
119
120 # **********************************************************************
121 # Screen sections
122 # **********************************************************************
123
124 # Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
125 # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
126 # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
127 # option.
128 Section "Screen"
129 Identifier "Screen0"
130 ==> Device "Standard VGA"
133 --------------------------------------------------------
134
135 ...because in the Device section exists a default setting:
138 # **********************************************************************
139 # Graphics device section
140 # **********************************************************************
141
142 # Any number of graphics device sections may be present
143
144 # Standard VGA Device:
145
146 Section "Device"
147 Identifier "Standard VGA"
148 VendorName "Unknown"
149 BoardName "Unknown"
150
151 # The chipset line is optional in most cases. It can be used to override
152 # the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.
153
154 # Chipset "generic"
155
156 # The Driver line must be present. When using run-time loadable driver
157 # modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
158 # module. Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
159 # indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.
160
161 Driver "vesa" (normally this says 'vga', but I changed it to
162 vesa, as vga doesn't seem to work for me)
163
164 ---------------------------------------------------------------
165
166 Anyway, what I'm getting at here is
167
168 1) Switch to the vesa driver
169
170 2) Try to start X and see if it will start.
171
172 If it will, then the problem is specifically around the fglrx driver
173 (you didn't recompile it, so it won't load, or genkernel added something
174 that conflicts with it, so it won't load).
175
176 If it still won't start, the problem is with X itself-- check the logs
177 to see if it's a settings issue, or try Jerry's suggestion of
178 recompiling x.org, and/or revdep-rebuild.
179
180 Hope this helps,
181 Holly
182 --