From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Will a 64-bit-no-multilib machine cross-compile 32-bit code?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 00:26:56
1 On Monday 23 March 2015 21:51:04 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I have one of the earliest Atom chips. Some people have a hard time
4 > believing this, but it's a 32-bit-only chip; a couple of lines from
5 > /proc/cpuinfo
6 >
7 > model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz
8 > address sizes : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
9
10 I have a 32-bit Atom box too. The corresponding lines are:
11 model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
12 address sizes : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
13
14 It has two cores though, and it does have mmx according to /proc/cpuinfo.
15
16 > I want to make absolutely certain that "illegal instructions" are not
17 > compiled for it.
18
19 I export its packages directory via NFS to a 32-bit chroot on my workstation
20 which I've set up to compile packages for it. I just have to make sure that
21 /etc/portage/* is the same and it just works. Well, there are a few
22 differences because the Atom box is the LAN server, but it's nearly the
23 same.
26 Rgds
27 Peter.