From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Will a 64-bit-no-multilib machine cross-compile 32-bit code?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:51:14
1 On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 09:25:53PM -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote
2
3 > I guess gcc devs are careful when using the model numbers (Intel
4 > lists 3 for Atoms, gcc uses only two so that may account for the
5 > models I mentioned) but the chance of error is there. The -mno-xxx
6 > flags would safeguard against it.
7
8 I have one of the earliest Atom chips. Some people have a hard time
9 believing this, but it's a 32-bit-only chip; a couple of lines from
10 /proc/cpuinfo
11
12 model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz
13 address sizes : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
14
15 Intel gives the CPU's specs at...
16
17 http://ark.intel.com/products/35466/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z520-512K-Cache-1_33-GHz-533-MHz-FSB
18
19 ...where it specifically says...
20
21 Intel 64 # No
22
23 I want to make absolutely certain that "illegal instructions" are not
24 compiled for it.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications