From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 03:12:08
1 On 07/08/2010 04:30 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> Regarding mplayer: There is another ebuild in the multimedia-overlay
3 >>>> that I prefer now to mplayer(-mt) and that also uses ffmpeg-mt :
4 >>>> media-video/mplayer-uau.
5 >>>>
6 >>>> It fetches the mplayer-version from one of the mplayer-devs and creates
7 >>>> a binary called "mplayer-uau" which can be installed at the same time as
8 >>>> the official mplayer package.
9 >>>
10 >>> I gave that a try and it smoothed everything right out, so I guess it
11 >>> was a CPU issue after all. Thank you for your help. How is
12 >>> mplayer-uau different from mplayer-mt? Maybe mplayer-mt can't be
13 >>
14 >> mplayer from multimedia overlay is a replacement for the regular, official
15 >> mplayer with the only change being ffmpeg-mt. It can't be installed
16 >> alongside regular mplayer because it's a replacement and multithreading can
17 >> be enabled/disabled at runtime.
18 >>
19 >> mplayer-uau is a fork of MPlayer, previously known as "mplayer-git", before
20 >> the developer was kicked from the mplayer project for unknown reasons.
21 >> While mplayer from multimedia only adds the ffmpeg-mt patch, mplayer-uau
22 >> adds more patches.
23 >
24 > Does mplayer from multimedia overlay include mplayer-mt and ffmpeg-mt
25 > patches, or just ffmpeg-mt?
26
27 "mplayer-mt" is mplayer with ffmpeg-mt.
30 > Do you know what other significant
31 > patches mplayer-uau adds?
32
33 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-814504.html