From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To install a testing version of a package on a stable OS installation.
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:26:38
1 On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Ста Деюс <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi, R0b0t1.
5 > On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 19:18:50 -0500, you wrote:
6 >
7 >> > I run mixed stable and testing packages, and it seems to work very
8 >> well. The issues I have had had made me consider switching to entirely
9 >> testing (~amd64) because a lot of issues are actually
10 >> incompatibilities between stable and testing packages. There are some
11 >> people in the IRC channel on Freenode who will recommend the same
12 >> thing.
13 >
14 > I consider security that is more on stable part that on testing, and i
15 > do not need whole system to be testing -- just one package that so
16 > poorly designed/made that requires for its new version to abandon all
17 > the data used for its previous version and make all that data anew! --
18 > So, after that had been done for the new version (on another system), i
19 > would use that data for the new version in Gentoo (rather than
20 > recreate that data again for old version and then recreate again when
21 > new version becomes stable) -- but in Gentoo the program is in testing
22 > for now.
25 Compared to distributions like Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu, nearly all
26 of the packages in portage are "new," even the stable versions. As
27 such I'm not really sure you can call the testing packages less secure
28 by virtue of being newer. The distributions listed are the main
29 targets for security support and Gentoo misses out on most of that. On
30 Gentoo security support is often provided as a new version of the
31 software in question, so testing packages might be more secure than
32 stable ones! In a similar vein depending on what you want to do and
33 what you need to install, the testing versions have more useful
34 features or crucial bugfixes.
35
36 I don't intend this to be an argument to convince you to globally
37 keyword ~arch. If you don't see the need for it then that is the end
38 of it. However, as a software developer I often need a testing version
39 of a package, and that needs other packages which are in testing, and
40 eventually there is some widely used package which that needs to be
41 the version in testing or a set of packages that is mutually exclusive
42 that becomes selected. It eventually starts to look easier to just
43 install all testing packages by default. Gentoo is a distribution
44 mainly for developers. Even if you are not a developer, I suspect you
45 will start using software that is closer to the bleeding edge by
46 virtue of using Gentoo. At some point you may start having problems
47 like people have outlined in this thread, and if you do, do not be
48 afraid to start using unstable packages.
49
50 R0b0t1.