From: "Ста Деюс" <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To install a testing version of a package on a stable OS installation.
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 08:52:16
1 Hi, R0b0t1.
4 On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 19:18:50 -0500, you wrote:
5
6 > > I run mixed stable and testing packages, and it seems to work very
7 > well. The issues I have had had made me consider switching to entirely
8 > testing (~amd64) because a lot of issues are actually
9 > incompatibilities between stable and testing packages. There are some
10 > people in the IRC channel on Freenode who will recommend the same
11 > thing.
12
13 I consider security that is more on stable part that on testing, and i
14 do not need whole system to be testing -- just one package that so
15 poorly designed/made that requires for its new version to abandon all
16 the data used for its previous version and make all that data anew! --
17 So, after that had been done for the new version (on another system), i
18 would use that data for the new version in Gentoo (rather than
19 recreate that data again for old version and then recreate again when
20 new version becomes stable) -- but in Gentoo the program is in testing
21 for now.
24 Thank you for your time,
25 Sthu.