From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To install a testing version of a package on a stable OS installation.
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 00:18:57
1 On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Ста Деюс <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi.
5 > Is it possible to compile/install a testing version of a package w/ its
6 > dependencies on a stable OS installation? -- I mean, if a have stable
7 > installation of whole the system, can i compile and install a testing
8 > version of single package and the packages this single package depends
9 > on?
12 I run mixed stable and testing packages, and it seems to work very
13 well. The issues I have had had made me consider switching to entirely
14 testing (~amd64) because a lot of issues are actually
15 incompatibilities between stable and testing packages. There are some
16 people in the IRC channel on Freenode who will recommend the same
17 thing.
18
19 Building on what Rich said, most people will help you get unstable
20 packages working, but every now and then you will run into an issue
21 that requires bugfixes by the original package developers. Often in
22 this case the only solution available is waiting. Sometimes someone
23 will be able to help you patch the code if the problem has already
24 been solved but there hasn't been a release. (Sometimes Gentoo
25 contributors will create entirely new patches, but that is the
26 exception.)
27
28 R0b0t1.