From: Neil Walker <neil@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:35:37
1 Hey guys,
2
3 There seems to be a lot of confusion over this RAID thing.
4
5 Hardware RAID does not use partitions. The entire drive is used (or,
6 actually, the amount defined in setting up the array) and all I/O is
7 handled by the BIOS on the RAID controller. The array appears as a
8 single drive to the OS and can then be partitioned and formatted like
9 any other drive.
10
11 Software RAID can be created within existing MSDOS-style partitions -
12 indeed must be if the array is to be bootable.
13
14 The OP seems to be doing the latter so the comments about removing a
15 drive and re-formatting are perfectly valid.
16
17 In order not to confuse the matter further, I deliberately left out the
18 pseudo-hardware controllers on many modern motherboards. ;)
21 Be lucky,
22
23 Neil
24 http://www.neiljw.com/