From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:12:59
1 On Tuesday 09 February 2010 19:03:39 Neil Walker wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > There seems to be a lot of confusion over this RAID thing.
5 >
6 > Hardware RAID does not use partitions. The entire drive is used (or,
7 > actually, the amount defined in setting up the array) and all I/O is
8 > handled by the BIOS on the RAID controller. The array appears as a
9 > single drive to the OS and can then be partitioned and formatted like
10 > any other drive.
11 >
12 > Software RAID can be created within existing MSDOS-style partitions -
13 > indeed must be if the array is to be bootable.
14 >
15 > The OP seems to be doing the latter so the comments about removing a
16 > drive and re-formatting are perfectly valid.
17 >
18 > In order not to confuse the matter further, I deliberately left out the
19 > pseudo-hardware controllers on many modern motherboards. ;)
20
21 Don't get me started on those ;)
22 The reason I use Linux Software Raid is because:
23 1) I can't afford hardware raid adapters
24 2) It's generally faster then hardware fakeraid
27 Joost