From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] experience thus far
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 00:44:17
1 Am Sat, 17 May 2014 08:08:17 +0800
2 schrieb William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>:
3
4 > On 17/05/14 04:15, Marc Joliet wrote:
5 > > So, a week has passed since my conversion to btrfs.
6 > >
7 > > So far there seem to have been no problems, my system has been running as if
8 > > nothing has changed :) . Which, as a friend pointed out, is how it should be.
9 > >
10 > > I don't think there is anything particularly interesting to mention in addition
11 > > to what I already wrote. I can just say that I think the effort was worth it.
12 > >
13 > > The one thing that I can tell from reading the past two weeks of the btrfs ML
14 > > is that the 3.15 Linux kernel series will contain lots of bug fixes (for
15 > > example in balancing, error handling, and send/receive), and that I will want
16 > > to use that sooner rather than later. Of course, the severity of the problems
17 > > varies, and a lot are triggered under odd, or at least uncommon, circumstances.
18 > > Still, its worth paying attention to.
19 > >
20 > > Also, a lot of problem reports I saw came from people using other volume
21 > > management below btrfs, interestingly enough.
22 > >
23 > > As for the future, I think I will wait a while, and get some experience with
24 > > btrfs first. I suspect that by the time btrfs supports swap files, it will be
25 > > stable enough that I would consider converting my SSD to also use btrfs
26 > > anyway :) . Possibly before that, once I am fully convinced of btrfs'
27 > > stability, I will also convert my backup drive and switch to using snapshots
28 > > and send/receive to perform backups. Perhaps somebody will have written a
29 > > backup solution on top of snapshots by then.
30 > >
31 > > Have a nice weekend,
34 > Don't forget to have a maintenance program - run a scrub regularly once
35 > a week or so - I have enough btrfs drives (22 qemu files, 4 WD Greens
36 > att) to see about one or two scrub fixable errors a week with no obvious
37 > cause, sometimes serious (in a critical file). My experience is that if
38 > you ignore these errors they seem to increase over time resulting in a
39 > crash and burn. Keep an eye on your logs as btrfs will list the errors
40 > there as well ("grep -i btrfs /var/log/messages"). For the ones scrub
41 > cant fix, delete the file and restore from backup. Errors that require
42 > off-line fixing (btrfsck) are the ones where I have lost file systems -
43 > though I have not seen this in the last 6 months.
44
45 I did not forget about scrubbing, though so far I have run them manually (once
46 on Monday after a weekend away from the computer, and once tonight, both
47 without error). Nevertheless, thanks for the reminder and extra info :) .
48
49 BTW: I came across an interesting tool called dstat (indirectly while looking
50 for which package contained iostat, which was mentioned on the btrfs ML). With
51 "dstat -df", you can monitor the I/O of each individual drive. It's fun
52 watching them be used in parallel :) .
53
54 Anyway, with dstat I discovered that my drives have noticeably different
55 throughput. Of course, I might have deduced that earlier:
56
57 # btrfs scrub status -d /home
58 scrub status for 472c9290-3ff2-4096-9c47-0612d3a52cef
59 scrub device /dev/sda (id 1) history
60 scrub started at Sat May 17 00:23:33 2014 and finished after 2536 seconds
61 total bytes scrubbed: 215.42GiB with 0 errors
62 scrub device /dev/sdb (id 2) history
63 scrub started at Sat May 17 00:23:33 2014 and finished after 3519 seconds
64 total bytes scrubbed: 216.32GiB with 0 errors
65 scrub device /dev/sdc (id 3) history
66 scrub started at Sat May 17 00:23:33 2014 and finished after 2346 seconds
67 total bytes scrubbed: 216.57GiB with 0 errors
68 scrub device /dev/sdd (id 4) history
69 scrub started at Sat May 17 00:23:33 2014 and finished after 2346 seconds
70 total bytes scrubbed: 215.68GiB with 0 errors
71
72 Boy, is sdb slow! I might replace it with sde, which is laying around as a
73 spare for now, and make sdb the spare instead.
74
75 > I am quite practised in restoring from backups because of btrfs :)
76
77 Haha :) .
80 Marc Joliet
81 --
82 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
83 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup