From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] experience thus far
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 00:08:52
1 On 17/05/14 04:15, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > So, a week has passed since my conversion to btrfs.
3 >
4 > So far there seem to have been no problems, my system has been running as if
5 > nothing has changed :) . Which, as a friend pointed out, is how it should be.
6 >
7 > I don't think there is anything particularly interesting to mention in addition
8 > to what I already wrote. I can just say that I think the effort was worth it.
9 >
10 > The one thing that I can tell from reading the past two weeks of the btrfs ML
11 > is that the 3.15 Linux kernel series will contain lots of bug fixes (for
12 > example in balancing, error handling, and send/receive), and that I will want
13 > to use that sooner rather than later. Of course, the severity of the problems
14 > varies, and a lot are triggered under odd, or at least uncommon, circumstances.
15 > Still, its worth paying attention to.
16 >
17 > Also, a lot of problem reports I saw came from people using other volume
18 > management below btrfs, interestingly enough.
19 >
20 > As for the future, I think I will wait a while, and get some experience with
21 > btrfs first. I suspect that by the time btrfs supports swap files, it will be
22 > stable enough that I would consider converting my SSD to also use btrfs
23 > anyway :) . Possibly before that, once I am fully convinced of btrfs'
24 > stability, I will also convert my backup drive and switch to using snapshots
25 > and send/receive to perform backups. Perhaps somebody will have written a
26 > backup solution on top of snapshots by then.
27 >
28 > Have a nice weekend,
31 Don't forget to have a maintenance program - run a scrub regularly once
32 a week or so - I have enough btrfs drives (22 qemu files, 4 WD Greens
33 att) to see about one or two scrub fixable errors a week with no obvious
34 cause, sometimes serious (in a critical file). My experience is that if
35 you ignore these errors they seem to increase over time resulting in a
36 crash and burn. Keep an eye on your logs as btrfs will list the errors
37 there as well ("grep -i btrfs /var/log/messages"). For the ones scrub
38 cant fix, delete the file and restore from backup. Errors that require
39 off-line fixing (btrfsck) are the ones where I have lost file systems -
40 though I have not seen this in the last 6 months.
41
42 I am quite practised in restoring from backups because of btrfs :)
43
44 BillK