From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Project Begins!
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 02:12:56
1 On 27/03/16 12:51, 80x24 wrote:
2 > Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I am going to now host my web site on a Gentoo server. Firstly, is there
6 >> a recommended profile for this, or will the default amd64 profile
7
8 It depends on your use-case and preference, but hardened is often a good
9 choice for something that will offer external services (as in over the
10 Internet).
11
12 >> suffice? Or would it be better to use a hardened profile for this task?
13 >> Secondly, does Linode offer the requisite information for things you
14 >> MUST have while building a kernel?
15
16 The Linode configurations, last time I checked, were significantly out
17 of date (including their Gentoo deployment image). Depending on your
18 level of paranoia, it may be reasonable for you to boot your Linode
19 using their rescue environment and perform a stage-3 install that way.
20 Otherwise, you can simply deploy their Gentoo image and update/harden as
21 necessary.
22
23 As for kernel configuration, I don't recall seeing anything
24 specifically, however they do include their default kernel configuration
25 in either /boot/config* or /proc/config.gz, so you can use that as a base.
26
27 >> And finally, I am going to have
28 >> multiple servers. Is there a package that I can use to distribute my
29 >> built kernels?
30
31 There isn't a package, however depending on how you configure the
32 kernel, you can either just copy the .config from one host or another,
33 or the kernel make program has options to build archives of the built
34 kernel - see `make help` for details.
35
36 >> Thanks, you guys are awesome, and keep up the good work,
37 >>
38 >> Hunter
39 >>
40 > As far as you know how to hardened security of your servers. Normal
41 > profile will be good (Though I still recommend hardened if you're
42 > familiar with GRsecurity and other ``hardeded'' stuff).
43 >
44 > If you go with the hardened version, you will also need to build custom
45 > kernel and set kernel to pygrub in Linode profile settings (which
46 > selects proper generic kernel by default). And yes you will need a
47 > bootloader.
48
49 Hardened is not one be-all solution - you can use some hardened features
50 and not others. For example, you can convert to the hardened profile and
51 do not necessarily need to use hardened-sources. Similarly, if you *do*
52 use hardened-sources, you do not need to enable an RBAC (such as
53 GRSecurity or SELinux).
54
55 If you do use PaX in the kernel, though, you will need to also be on a
56 hardened profile to have binaries marked appropriately.
57
58 Cheers;
59 --
60 Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wraeth@g.o>