From: Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] The Project Begins!
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 05:10:47
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Sam Jorna [mailto:wraeth@g.o]
3 Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 22:12
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Project Begins!
6
7 On 27/03/16 12:51, 80x24 wrote:
8 > Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
9 >> Hello,
10 >>
11 >> I am going to now host my web site on a Gentoo server. Firstly, is
12 >> there a recommended profile for this, or will the default amd64
13 >> profile
14
15 It depends on your use-case and preference, but hardened is often a good
16 choice for something that will offer external services (as in over the
17 Internet).
18
19 >> suffice? Or would it be better to use a hardened profile for this task?
20 >> Secondly, does Linode offer the requisite information for things you
21 >> MUST have while building a kernel?
22
23 The Linode configurations, last time I checked, were significantly out of
24 date (including their Gentoo deployment image). Depending on your level of
25 paranoia, it may be reasonable for you to boot your Linode using their
26 rescue environment and perform a stage-3 install that way.
27 Otherwise, you can simply deploy their Gentoo image and update/harden as
28 necessary.
29
30 As for kernel configuration, I don't recall seeing anything specifically,
31 however they do include their default kernel configuration in either
32 /boot/config* or /proc/config.gz, so you can use that as a base.
33
34 >> And finally, I am going to have
35 >> multiple servers. Is there a package that I can use to distribute my
36 >> built kernels?
37
38 There isn't a package, however depending on how you configure the kernel,
39 you can either just copy the .config from one host or another, or the kernel
40 make program has options to build archives of the built kernel - see `make
41 help` for details.
42
43 >> Thanks, you guys are awesome, and keep up the good work,
44 >>
45 >> Hunter
46 >>
47 > As far as you know how to hardened security of your servers. Normal
48 > profile will be good (Though I still recommend hardened if you're
49 > familiar with GRsecurity and other ``hardeded'' stuff).
50 >
51 > If you go with the hardened version, you will also need to build
52 > custom kernel and set kernel to pygrub in Linode profile settings
53 > (which selects proper generic kernel by default). And yes you will
54 > need a bootloader.
55
56 Hardened is not one be-all solution - you can use some hardened features and
57 not others. For example, you can convert to the hardened profile and do not
58 necessarily need to use hardened-sources. Similarly, if you *do* use
59 hardened-sources, you do not need to enable an RBAC (such as GRSecurity or
60 SELinux).
61
62 If you do use PaX in the kernel, though, you will need to also be on a
63 hardened profile to have binaries marked appropriately.
64
65 Cheers;
66 --
67 Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wraeth@g.o>
68 GnuPG Key: D6180C26
69 Okay. Thanks for that information. Is there a more descriptive version of
70 the twenty USE flags I should use for Apache, because the index is rather
71 vague. I pulled up the wiki page, clicked on a link that was attached to one
72 of the USE flags, which in turn opened up another three hundred plus USE
73 opportunities.