From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with HAL
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:45:41
1 Hello Dale,
2
3 > > If you're using the KDE automounter, you don't need any fstab entries
4 > > for removable devices.
5
6 > That's what I thought to. I do however use it for a console session and
7 > I use ivman to mount. I think that is why I had to put that in there.
8 > KDE works with it there as well though so I guess it doesn't hurt
9 > anything.
10
11 You can use pmount to mount a device from a terminal, which is what KDE
12 uses anyway. The main difference that an fstab entry makes is that it can
13 change the mount point that would otherwise be used.
14
15 > I also noticed that KDE can read my Canon camera like it is a drive now
16 > though. Not sure how that happened. I'm not complaining though.
17
18 KDE has been able to do that for a long time. It's not actually mounting
19 it as a drive, because Canon cameras don't use usb-storage, but the
20 camera:/ ioslave allows you to use it as if it was, via libgphoto2.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 If this leaves a waxy buildup - on anything - I'm coming back.