From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup & restore solution?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:17:04
1 Jarry wrote:
4 > Is it not possible to archive MBR too? That way I could save 5. and
5 > 6., and to automate it with some scripts...
8 Technically, yes, I guess you could do this. Although, I don't know if
9 I would really recommend it.
10
11 If you are using a stage 1.5 with grub, you would need to archive the
12 first 63 blocks of the disk (technically fewer than that, but you would
13 have to check grub-install's output to be sure of the exact count, and
14 63 is the safe number). This is because grub embeds the stage1.5 loader
15 after the mbr (first block) and the start of the first partition.
16
17 If you are not using the stage 1.5, or you are using lilo, then you have
18 little choice but to reinstall the boot loader. This is because some
19 files in /boot are block mapped into the mbr, and the restore process
20 may have changed the layout of these files, so the block map will be
21 incorrect.
22
23 I think the safest route is to always let the system write a fresh mbr.
24
25 -Richard
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list