From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:54:01
1 On 2013-09-28 3:04 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, William.
3 >
4 > On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:01:59AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >> I have a pretty simple setup, but I have been using an initramfs which I
6 >> built some time ago with genkernel and I barely know it is there.
7
8 > Until, after some update, it reminds you of its presence by not booting
9 > your machine. That's the sort of excitement I can do without.
10
11 Precisely. And, it is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), that
12 simply keeping your old kernel/initramfs around is NOT a guarantee (it
13 might work - and it might NOT) of being able to fallback to a known
14 working config until you figure it out.
15
16 THAT, in a nutshell, is why my intention is to NEVER let one of those
17 things on my systems.