From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:39:48
1 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-28 3:04 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Hi, William.
4 >>
5 >> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:01:59AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
6 >>> I have a pretty simple setup, but I have been using an initramfs
7 >>> which I
8 >>> built some time ago with genkernel and I barely know it is there.
9 >
10 >> Until, after some update, it reminds you of its presence by not booting
11 >> your machine. That's the sort of excitement I can do without.
12 >
13 > Precisely. And, it is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), that
14 > simply keeping your old kernel/initramfs around is NOT a guarantee (it
15 > might work - and it might NOT) of being able to fallback to a known
16 > working config until you figure it out.
17 >
18 > THAT, in a nutshell, is why my intention is to NEVER let one of those
19 > things on my systems.
20 >
21 > .
24 That is a point I have made a few times. If the init thingy fails and I
25 can't get my system to boot, Gentoo isn't doing me a bit of good. I
26 can't boot to get help to fix it and I'm not walking up the tall hill to
27 my brothers to try and get help with his computer. With my health, that
28 would be only one trip, two at best. A OS is no different than anything
29 else around here that is broken, if it is broke and I can't fix it, I
30 replace it. I have done it with appliances and several other things
31 including cars. All of whcih costs a lot more money and such than any
32 OS out there that I know of.
33
34 I think I'll update that Kubuntu disk right quick while I am thinking
35 about it. Fall back plan just in case. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!