From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 21:55:41
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:30:23 -0600
3 > Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed? I did a google search for uucp
7 >> and group and it was interesting. It seems this is the norm now.
8 >> When I added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem
9 >> of having to fax something as root instead of a user. ;-) Learn
10 >> something every day. I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going
11 >> to like this change. Add nut to the group to I guess.
12 >>
13 >> Well, now we know huh?
14 >>
15 >> Thanks for the help. I better watch the rules update next time.
16 >>
17 >> Dale
18 >>
19 >> :-) :-) :-) :-)
22 > FWIW, it was kind of a PITA to set up dialup in a secure way for
23 > multiple users to use with traditional UNIX permissioning. The
24 > reorganization of groups, if it deals with that ugliness (visit
25 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#Winmodems_with_Lucent_Apollo_.28ISA.29_and_Mars_.28PCI.29_chipsets
26 > to see for yourself what I mean) I say, it's worth a bit of
27 > reorganization of users.
30 I also went diggin in the groups file, there is a dialout group in there
31 that *should* address this. I mentioned in a early reply that this was
32 likely a security thing. Your link seems to show that it is that. What
33 I can't figure out is why no one warned us? I only use Linux and only
34 have one puter that connects to the net so if I didn't know to check the
35 permissions of the modem, I could have been stuck. Plus, I did get that
36 error about my UPS. That was really helpful there. It actually showed
37 me the permissions were wrong and I noticed they were changed from what
38 they used to be.
39
40 I also notice there is no mention of the uucp group in the link. It
41 does mention using the group ppp but not uucp. Anyway, I plan to watch
42 those udev config updates closer next time. They have always worked
43 before but I learned that *may* not always be true.
44
45 Thanks for the info.
46
47 Dale