From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:58:46
1 On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:30:23 -0600
2 Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Mark Kirkwood wrote:
5 > > Dale wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a
8 > >> notice that there are group changes. I would think udev would be
9 > >> what was changed. I'm curious to see your reply though.
10 > >
11 > > Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):
12 > >
13 > > $ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
14 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
15 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
16 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
17 > > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3
18 > >
19 > > and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge
20 > > to make this ownership change:
21 > >
22 > > $ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
23 > > KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp",
24 > > MODE="0660"
25 > >
26 > > I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing
27 > > etc-update. Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!
30 > > So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.
31 > >
32 > > Cheers
33 > >
34 > > Mark
35 >
36 > Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed? I did a google search for uucp
37 > and group and it was interesting. It seems this is the norm now.
38 > When I added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem
39 > of having to fax something as root instead of a user. ;-) Learn
40 > something every day. I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going
41 > to like this change. Add nut to the group to I guess.
42 >
43 > Well, now we know huh?
44 >
45 > Thanks for the help. I better watch the rules update next time.
46 >
47 > Dale
48 >
50 >
51 FWIW, it was kind of a PITA to set up dialup in a secure way for
52 multiple users to use with traditional UNIX permissioning. The
53 reorganization of groups, if it deals with that ugliness (visit
54 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#Winmodems_with_Lucent_Apollo_.28ISA.29_and_Mars_.28PCI.29_chipsets
55 to see for yourself what I mean) I say, it's worth a bit of
56 reorganization of users.
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list