From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 06:35:44
1 Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a notice
5 >> that there are group changes. I would think udev would be what was
6 >> changed. I'm curious to see your reply though.
7 >
8 > Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):
9 >
10 > $ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
11 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
12 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
13 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
14 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3
15 >
16 > and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge to
17 > make this ownership change:
18 >
19 > $ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
20 > KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp",
21 > MODE="0660"
22 >
23 > I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing etc-update.
24 > Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!
27 > So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.
28 >
29 > Cheers
30 >
31 > Mark
32
33 Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed? I did a google search for uucp and
34 group and it was interesting. It seems this is the norm now. When I
35 added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem of having
36 to fax something as root instead of a user. ;-) Learn something every
37 day. I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going to like this
38 change. Add nut to the group to I guess.
39
40 Well, now we know huh?
41
42 Thanks for the help. I better watch the rules update next time.
43
44 Dale
45
49 www.myspace.com/dalek1967