From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 03:07:48
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Kirkwood wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Mick wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Hmm, this is what I am getting on a x86 build.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
9 >>>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 3 22:09 /dev/ttyS0
10 >>>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 3 22:09 /dev/ttyS1
11 >>>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 3 22:09 /dev/ttyS2
12 >>>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 3 22:09 /dev/ttyS3
13 >>>>
14 >>>> BTW, I am a member of the uucp group, but can't remember if I ever
15 >>>> added myself to it manually:
16 >>>>
17 >>>> uucp:x:14:uucp,michael
18 >>>>
19 >>>>
20 >>> There have been a lot of changes lately.
21 >> I'm updating today, so will let you know if my /dev/ttyS* change group
22 >> ownership thereafter.
23
24 > If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a notice
25 > that there are group changes. I would think udev would be what was
26 > changed. I'm curious to see your reply though.
29 Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):
30
31 $ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
32 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
33 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
34 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
35 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3
36
37 and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge to
38 make this ownership change:
39
40 $ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
41 KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp",
42 MODE="0660"
43
44 I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing etc-update.
45 Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!
48 So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.
49
50 Cheers
51
52 Mark