From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RUBYOPT="-rauto_gem"
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 03:02:29
1 On 01/15/2012 05:24 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > The dev-ruby/rubygems ebuild adds "-rauto_gem" to the global RUBYOPT.
5 > This breaks my own scripts so I have removed it from /etc/env.d. So
6 > far, so good.
7 >
8 > I just tried upgrading dev-ruby/json and it failed because I did not
9 > have RUBYOPT set. Obviously, the "fix" was easy but now I'm wondering
10 > ... is this really the best approach?
11 >
12 > It does not seem like a good idea that the rubygems ebuild sets
13 > RUBYOPT and subsequent (Ruby Gems related) emerges break without it.
14 > Would it not be simpler and more reliable if ebuilds that need it
15 > simply execute "export RUBYOPT=..." prior to running? Why does it have
16 > to be in the global environment, forcing it on every user?
17 >
18 > If there is a requirement for this to be in the global environment,
19 > what is the consequence of unsetting RUBYOPT in my own .bashrc (or
20 > similar)? Is that "safe"? Or does that break something that I simply
21 > haven't noticed yet?
24 (1) I don't know much about ruby packaging
25
26 (2) Keeping (1) in mind, I agree with you
27
28 (3) You're asking the wrong people
29
30 Try asking on the -dev list, or filing a bug. They'll just close it if
31 it's considered invalid.
32
33 This bit me once long ago: ruby scripts running from cron don't have
34 their RUBYOPT set, so scripts that normally work "magically" fail. Since
35 I never set RUBYOPT myself, I didn't expect it to be set. Of course, I
36 just forgot to require rubygems in my script.